|While hurricane season does not officially begin until June 1st, |
we’ve already seen two named tropical storms in recent weeks.
In April, Colorado State University released their Extended Range Forecast
and predicted above-normal activity for the season,
with 16 named storms, 8 hurricanes and 4 projected to reach
major hurricane strength (wind speed of 111 mph or greater).
With that in mind, we thought we should share the home
preparedness and strengthening tips just published by NOAA,
which may help minimize property damage from upcoming
Home Strengthening Tips for Property Managers and Homeowners:
– Keep trees around your home trimmed before a storm to prevent damage from broken branches.
– Have the proper materials in advance to board up your windows and protect from flying debris.
– Bring loose outdoor items such as patio furniture inside.
– Secure all doors on your property. The garage door is usually the most vulnerable.
– Move your car inside a garage or to another secure location.
Please also see the “What to Do Before the Tropical Storm or Hurricane” page on the NOAA website for a variety of hurricane related resources and tips. For hurricane updates, please be sure and check NOAA’s National Hurricane Center. Also, if anyone is looking for an iPhone app that provides good hurricane updates, we’ve found Hurricane Tracker to be helpful over the years (there may be a nominal charge).
As always, feel free to contact SES or your broker for additional information – we’re here to help!